- 1 cup applesauce or apple purée
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 dates
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 60g melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Add the chia seeds to the applesauce and leave for 20 minutes. These should begin to gel.
- Plates the dates in the small bowl and soak in boiling water. Drain the dates after 20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- In a food processor place the dates, chia seeds, melted butter and vanilla. Blitz well until a smooth paste is formed.
- In a bowl place all the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until everything is well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients from the food processor into the dry.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until a dough forms, then transfer onto a floured board and knead until the dough becomes smooth.
- Roll out to 5mm thick and cut out any shapes you want. Place cookies onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Decorate with any icing, smarties, or any fruit you have on hand!
Here’s another kid-friendly recipe you might like: Pasta Salad
This nutritious pasta salad recipe is full of delicious vegetables! This month, make this easy and delicious supper with your family.