These paddle pop stick bees are made with everyday items and are fun for both you and your child.
To make one bee, you will need:
- 7 paddle pop sticks
- Black and yellow paint
- A black pipe cleaner
- Scissors (parent supervision required!)
- A black felt-tip pen
- A rectangular piece of black card
- Translucent paper cut into 4 oval or tear drop shapes, 2 being slightly smaller in size (these will be the wings – if you don’t have translucent paper, just use regular paper)
- Googly eyes
- Start by painting each paddle pop stick – paint 3 black and 4 yellow, then allow to dry.
- From your pipe cleaner, cut off two 2-inch sections, with about half an inch folded at the top for the antennae (you could make little feet too!).
- When the paddle pop sticks are dry, glue them one by one (close together) to the black card to make the bee’s black and yellow stripes.
- Next, glue the antennae to the top at the back of the card.
- Glue the wings to the back of the card on either side of the bee.
- Glue on the googly eyes.
- Draw on a mouth (you could add some eyebrows for more character), and your bee is complete!
Here’s another kid DIY activity you might like: Egg Carton Ladybugs