Cutting back on meat and introducing plant-based meals to our diets has many environmental and health benefits. This lentil Bolognese recipe is a simple, affordable and delicious meat-free alternative that your little one is sure to love.
Serves 4 | Cooking Time: 20 mins | Difficulty: Easy
- 1 brown onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 6 cup mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1tsp oregano
- 400g lentils, drained and rinsed
- 300g cooked spaghetti
- 700g tomato passata
- 2tsp olive oil
- Grated parmesan to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Cook the onion, garlic and carrot for 4-5 minutes or until soft
- Add the passata, chopped tomatoes and half a cup of water, stir and bring to the boil.
- Add lentils, oregano and mushrooms (if using), stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Serve with cooked spaghetti and grated parmesan.
At Your local Early Learning Centre, we provide fresh, nutritious and creative meals delivered daily by Kids Gourmet Foods.
Here’s another kid-friendly recipe you might like: Hidden Veggie Lasagne