When a child asks questions, it equips them with the ability to better understand the world, events, and occurrences happening around them. Being inquisitive comes naturally to children and I’m sure every parent can agree that their child loves to ask questions.
When children ask questions, it is helping the development of their cognitive skills, such as how they think, explore, and solve problems.
Curiosity is the source of knowledge; you can’t have one without the other. While the questions children ask could be seen as frivolous and repetitive, it is in fact, helping them become intelligent, mart and aware children.
Ways to Encourage your Child to Ask Questions:
- Allow them to ask questions at home, prompting them to ask questions is also effective, ask them questions about activities they are doing. For example, “what game are you laying today?”, or “what is your toy’s name, and why did you call it that?”
- Allow your child to ask “why”. I know at times it can be exhausting answering all the questions your child has to ask but it does have a positive effect on their development.
- Show interest in what your child is asking. Have a conversation with them about what they are asking.
- Ask your child open-ended questions to start a deeper conversation. To have a deeper conversation ask your child “why” to their answers. This allows you to find the deeper meaning behind what they are saying and provokes them to think harder.
- Creating a safe environment for learning is key. Reassure your child that asking questions is okay and even encouraged in your household. Make sure they know there is “no wrong question”.
These are just a few of the many ways to facilitate curiosity and questions from your child. At Your Local Early Learning Centre, we implement these practices in our everyday activities to ensure your child feels safe and confident to ask questions.
Book a centre tour at Your Local Early Learning Centre today, we look forward to letting you!
Looking for Quality Child Care?
We strive to provide your child with the best possible care to promote growth and a healthy lifestyle now and into the future. At your local early learning centre, we encourage open-ended and intentional play-based learning both indoors and outdoors. Our centres are located in Cannon Hill, Cleveland, Daisy Hill, Doolandella, and Underwood. Please feel free to contact us today to enquire or to enrol your child.