We are sure you’ve heard the saying “communication is key”, well that’s because it is, especially when it comes to your child.
While words of affirmation are important, ensuring your child feels heard and understood is just as important in order to build their self-esteem and enables them to feel loved and worthy.
A person’s ability to feel confident, be motivated and manage stress stems from their childhood. A person’s ‘self-concept’ of their place in society and within their family starts to develop at the ages of two and six. The relationship a child has with their parents is an integral part of building a child’s self-concept.
Listen to your child
When your child speaks, listen. I know it is easier said than done, especially with the busy life’s parents lead but it is important. Ways to facilitate listening.
- Pay attention to what your child is saying, as much as you can.
- Set aside time each day to actively communicate and listen to your child.
- Encourage your child to share their ideas and opinions. Have two-way conversations, taking turns listening and talking.
- Try not to correct their grammatical error or finish their sentences.
Build your child’s self-esteem
Positive words of encouragement help to build a child’s self-confidence. This isn’t to say that you should complement everything your child does but make sure to acknowledge their accomplishments, big and small.
Communicate with positive body language
It is said that actions speak louder than words so make sure you take notice of your body language towards your child. When speaking to your child you should.
- Get down on their level, either by sitting or squatting.
- Make eye contact.
- Speak in a gentle tone of voice
- Try to avoid body language that gives the impression of impatience, e.g., tapping of the foot or sighing.
If you follow these simple steps your child’s confidence is sure to grow!
Looking for Quality Child Care?
We strive to provide your child with the best possible care to promote growth and a healthy lifestyle now and into the future. At your local early learning centre, we encourage open-ended and intentional play-based learning both indoors and outdoors. Our centres are located in Cannon Hill, Cleveland, Daisy Hill, Doolandella, and Underwood. Please feel free to contact us today to enquire or to enrol your child.